Alpha Delta Chapter at Rhodes College

Kappa Delta

Letter from VP-Community Service

Here at the Alpha Delta chapter of Kappa Delta, we work hard to serve our community and get involved with our philanthropies. We pride ourselves on dedicating our time to our Memphis community. As members of Kappa Delta our goal is to build confidence and inspire action with everything we do. In 1998, Kappa Delta welcomed the Girl Scouts as one of its national philanthropies. We work with the Girl Scouts to help build girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place. In addition to working with the Girl Scouts, we have the privilege to raise money for Prevent Child Abuse America to help strengthen families and improve the lives of children. Our final philanthropic organization is the Confidence Coalition, our mission is to provide experiences that build confidence in women and inspire them to action through the power of lifelong friendship. We have workshops and sisterhood events that allow us to inspire our sisters, and we help build confidence on our campus during Confidence Week and throughout the year.

 

Our philanthropy is unique because every single member gets to interact with the Girl Scouts every year and help build their confidence. Every semester we host two Girl Scout events where the Girl Scouts come to our campus and participate in different educational programs. In the past, we have held events such as Girl Scout Science Day, World Thinking Day, and cookie sales. Kappa Delta women are also invited to be counselors at Girl Scout camps and community-wide Girl Scout events like International Girls’ Day where thousands of Girl Scouts come together to celebrate the power of girls. We are always so excited to work with the Girl Scouts and they always bring so much joy, laughter, and fun to our campus!

 

Not only are we so fortunate to have the incredible opportunity for every member to work with the Girl Scouts, but we also come together to raise money for Prevent Child Abuse America (PCAA) and Prevent Child Abuse Tennessee (PCAT). Our chapter hosts the longest-running and largest philanthropy event at Rhodes College. Every year, we host our annual All Sing event where the whole campus rallies together to sing, dance, and compete for the kids! We donate 80% of the proceeds to PCAT so the money stays in our community. The remaining 20% goes to benefit PCAA. All Sing is always a memorable, fun event that we are honored to host year after year.

 

Finally, Kappa Delta has established the Confidence Coalition which is an alliance committed to promoting self-confidence in girls and women so that they may feel empowered to overcome social barriers and be inspired to reach their greatest potential. Our big Confidence Coalition event is Confidence Week where we hold daily campus-wide activities in hopes of building confidence in our peers. The Coalition also supports sisterhood events, workshops, and initiatives. As Kappa Delta women, we work to integrate building confidence into everything we do and to lift others when we notice they need a boost.

 

Community Service is a large part of who we are at Alpha Delta. We love working with our philanthropies and bettering the lives of others, but more than that, we love learning from those we serve and forming relationships that will last a lifetime!

 

Go Confidently and AOT,

Mallory Saleh

VP-Community Service,

Alpha Delta chapter of Kappa Delta

salmj-22@rhodes.edu